The Health Equity Research Summer Scholars Program (HERSSP) is sponsored by the Flint Center for Health Equity Solutions (FCHES) and was founded by Dr. Debra Furr-Holden (FCHES Director). FCHES is funded through the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, National Institutes of Health. Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Division of Public Health, in Flint, MI, hosts the Summer Program.
The HERSSP design allows each Scholar to have a primary summer project assigned to them, and work closely with an identified Center mentor. The home base for the HERSSP is MSU’s Flint campus; however, we have community-based partnerships with several community agencies, giving our Scholars an opportunity to engage in hands-on work in the Flint Community. Work may include developing survey questions, administering surveys, data entry, developing social media campaigns, creating flyers, writing abstracts, and an end-of-program presentation.
Each year we begin looking for Scholars to participate in the Health Equity Research Summer Scholars Program. Scholars will participate in an eight-week research and career development program with a focus on the introduction to public health research, practice, and communication.
- Located at Michigan State University – Flint campus (200 E. 1st St, across from the Flint Farmers Market)
- Program dates: TBD
- Application due: TBD
- Program notification: TBD
- Must be enrolled in high school or college, and at least 16 years old
- Live in Flint, MI during the summer of 2019, housing is not provided
- Have a strong desire to make a difference in the Flint community
- Have an interest in public health
Required Submission Documents
- Cover letter
- An academic letter of recommendation (e.g. teacher, counselor, professor, advisor, etc.)
- Community letter of recommendation (e.g. coach, pastor, program mentor, program director, etc.)
- Essay Response (300-500 words)
- What is public health to you and how does it influence your academic and/or career interests? How has public health impacted your local community?
MSU offers Resources + Tools for resume and cover letter writing, click here for tips for a stronger application.
Applications for 2019 Summer Scholars are closed and currently under review. Summer Scholars selected for 2019 will receive a decision letter via email by March 8, 2019.
2018 Summer Scholars
2017 Summer Scholars
Questions? Email email@example.com or call (810)600-9138.